Prime Ministers of India
In India, the head of state is the President, whose powers are largely nominal and ceremonial. Prime Minister of India is the head of the government. Article 75 of the Indian Constitution envisages that there will be a Prime Minister who shall be appointed by the President of India. Prime Minister is the leader of the Cabinet Ministers. The main executive powers of the government are vested in the Prime Minister while the President is the nominal head of the State.
Here is the chronologically ordered list of the Prime Ministers of India,in the table below, from the earliest to the most recent:
|1||Jawaharlal Nehru (1889-1964)||15th August,1947 – 27th May 27,1964|
|2||Gulzari Lal Nanda (1898-1997) (Acting)*||27th May,1964 – 9th June, 1964|
|3||Lal Bahadur Shastri (1904-1966)||9th June, 1964 – 11th January, 1966|
|4||Gulzari Lal Nanda (1898-1997) (Acting)*||11th January, 1966 – 24th January, 1966|
|5||Indira Gandhi (1917-1984)||24th January, 1966 – 24th March, 1977|
|6||Morarji Desai (1896-1995)||24th March, 1977 – 28th July, 1979|
|7||Charan Singh (1902-1987)||28th July 1979 – 14th January, 1980|
|8||Indira Gandhi (1917-1984)||14th January, 1980 -31st October, 1984|
|9||Rajiv Gandhi (1944-1991)||31st October, 1984 – 1st December, 1989|
|10||Vishwanath Pratap Singh (1931-2008)||2nd December, 1989 – 10th November, 1990|
|11||Chandra Shekhar (1927-2007)||10th November, 1990 – 21st June, 1991|
|12||P.V. Narasimha Rao (1921-2004)||21st June, 1991 – 16th May, 1996|
|13||Atal Bihari Vajpayee (1926-2018)||16th May, 1996 – 1st June, 1996|
|14||H.D. Deve Gowda (B-1933)||1st June, 1996 – 21st April, 1997|
|15||I.K. Gujral (1933 -2012)||21st April, 1997 – 18th March, 1998|
|16||Atal Bihari Vajpayee (1926-2018)||19th March, 1998 – 13th October, 1999|
|17||Atal Bihari Vajpayee (1926-2018)||13th October, 1999 – 22nd May, 2004|
|18||Dr. Manmohan Singh (Born:1932)||22nd May, 2004 – 26th May, 2014|
|19||Narendra Modi (Born:1950)||26th May, 2014 – Incumbent|
*:Acting Prime Minister.
- Jawaharlal Nehru was the first Prime Minister of India and also the longest-serving (16 Years, 286 Days) Prime Minister of India.
- He is first Indian PM to die in office.
- Gulzarilal Nanda was the first acting Prime Minister of India.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri has given the slogan of ‘Jai Jawan Jai Kisan’.
- Indira Gandhi was the first and the only lady Prime Minister of India.
- Moraji Desai was the oldest(at the age of 81) to become PM & was first to resign from the office.
- Charan Singh was the only Prime Minister of who did not face the Parliament.
- Rajiv Gandhi was the youngest(at the age of 40) to become PM of India.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the first non-congress PM who completed a full term as PM.
- Dr. Manmohan Singh was the first and the only governor of RBI to become Prime Minister of India.
- Narendra Modi is the current and the 15th Prime Minister of India.
Prime Ministers of India who have served two consecutive tenures :
i. Jawaharlal Nehru
iii.Dr. Manmohan Singh